Thursday, November 18, 2010

Lil Fil Heads North - 20 & 21 Weeks

I took my first (and probably only, considering I'm nearing my third trimester) flight during my pregnancy last weekend to NYC to spend the weekend with my mom and family friends.  We did a lot of walking around, a lot of shopping, saw Wicked on Broadway, and ate a lot of good food.  We did a bit of baby shopping, when I realized I'd save a lot of money by having a boy.  It was still hard to pass the tiny pink Juicy bathing suits with a detachable ruffle waist band.

While walking around, I scoped out a lot of strollers trying to get some tips.  I probably looked pretty creepy to the parents because it appeared that I was staring directly at their child rather than their stroller, but whatever, there are a whole lot of bigger and creepier fish to fry in New York.  Other than the creep factor, the problem with my stroller scoping is that I couldn't really tell by briefly passing by whether the parents really liked the stroller, or whether it seemed to be handling well, or whether the babies were enjoying their ride.  So all in all not that helpful.  But, one important thing I did pick up on:  New York is just full of little girl babies.  And less than a handful of boys.  Which, actually, makes perfect sense.  Nearly everyone I know that is pregnant or has had a baby in the past couple of years, with very few exceptions, is expecting or has had a boy.  So I've wondered more than once where the little girls are.  Question answered:  New York.  

On Sunday morning my mom and I walked to Rockefeller Center so I could ogle at the Lego store, mourn the death of the massive old tree they cut down every year to celebrate America's commercialization of the holidays and commemoration of our motto that bigger is better (end of soapbox), and get breakfast at the Starbucks under 30 Rock.  While we ate we watched the ice skating rink they put up for the holiday season, where there were about 57 little girls ice skating.  There were literally two boys in the entire rink.  I was convinced that NYC truly was the little girl capital of the world, until we realized that almost all of them had an American Girl doll in their arms.  So I think it was some sort of convention or field trip.  That morning, the excitement that I was having a boy really hit me.  Their clothes might not have as many cute ruffles, but I'd take playing with Legos over dolls any day, always have and always will.  

New York trip in pictures:
Grammy-to-be and me, post Wicked.
Rockefeller Center
Central Park
FAO Schwartz soldier listening for Baby Fil.
Ack!  FAO Schwartz soldier kicked by Baby Fil!

Recap of Weeks 20 & 21:
  • Lil Fil is the size of:  a large banana.  Not sure how he morphed from a mango shape to a banana shape, but I'm trying to use my imagination.
  • I have gained:  Almost 10 pounds.
  • I physically feel:  like crap the past few days.  Caught a virus as soon as I came home from NY and my throat has been on fire all week.  My doctor said it's worse because I'm pregnant.  But prior to that, great.
  • I emotionally feel: festive.
  • Comment(s) of the week:   Well, I heard somewhar that nature'll favor one sex over the other to prepare us fer things, like when a war's a'comin.'  I hope that ain't true, but with what yer saying, who knows, maybe it is...  - Woman in the doctor's office waiting room, in response to me telling her that almost everyone I know lately is having or has had a boy.  Lady, you cray-zee. And who actually says "a'comin'"?
  • Milestone:  Past the halfway mark!  Woop!

21 Weeks

20 Weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment